What is Mental Health?
Mental health represents our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. The way we think, feel and act is influenced by it. Our mental health can determine how we can handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.
Factors That Influence Mental Health:
Disturbances in mental health can affect our thinking, mood, and behavior. Several factors contribute to mental health problems, including:
- Biological factors, including genes or brain chemistry.
- Life experiences, trauma or abuse.
- The family history of mental health problems.
Importance of Mental Health:
Positive mental health allows people to:
- Realize their full potential.
- Cope with the stresses of life.
- Work productivity.
- Make meaningful contributions to their communities.
Ways to maintain Mental Health:
- Get professional help if you need it.
- Exercise regularly.
- Get enough sleep.
- Develop coping skills.
- Be socially connected with others.
- Stay positive.
- Help others.
Sign of Mental Health Problems:
- Loss of interest or feeling low.
- Doing ordinary things gets harder.
- Taking more dangerous risks.
- Withdrawal or feeling overwhelmed.
- Using alcohol or drugs to escape.
- Changes in eating and sleeping.