Regular intake of alcohol increases the dependency on it which is also called alcoholism. This eventually leads to noticeable mental and physical changes wherein taking professional help is the only resort. Below are some of the major symptoms of alcohol dependency that call for immediate medical help:
- Tolerance: After a certain time, the same quantity of alcohol doesn’t get the same feeling as it did earlier. This leads to an increased consumption of alcohol; it is called tolerance. This suggests that regular drinking over time has accustomed your body of a certain quantity of alcohol.
- Withdrawal symptoms: When the effect of alcohol diminishes; you experience withdrawal symptoms likeanxiety,sweating, nausea, insomnia, depression, irritability, fatigue; loss of appetite or headaches. One or more of these symptoms point towards alcohol dependency.
- Loss of Control: It’s high time you should check your alcohol consumption when even after drinking a certain amount; you experience an uncontrollable urge to drink more.
- Inability to quit: Sometimes you may desire to quit drinking and may even make efforts to cut down on drinking habit but end up unsuccessful.
- Neglecting other activities: You may start ignoring important appointments, forgetting your promises or postponing work.Alcohol abuse eventually latches on to your time ultimately leading you to overlook the true essence of life. Your priorities tend to change causing an imbalance in life.
- Change in focus: There would be a shift of focus from other social as well as recreational activities to alcohol. You start awaiting the next opportunity to drink which in itself is an indication of alcohol dependency.
- Negative Consequences: Ultimately, when drinking alcohol interferes with your ability to work, affects your relationships, worsens the finances, or leads to health problems, yet you continue to drink, your dependency on alcohol is quite high. This indicates the need to take professional guidance.
If either you or your loved one has any of the above symptoms, seek consultation at Shanti Home. Our rehabilitation treatment has given a new life to many.
Recovery is always possible; only an initiative needs to be taken from your end.